Sunday, December 14, 2008

T-Minus 13 Hours

Operation Possum Drop was a dismal failure, so tomorrow at 8 a.m. we head to the hospital to begin Operation Uterine Foreclosure. I think we are mostly ready. I only slept about 3 hours last night due to the usual peeing/hip-aching/dog-whining trifecta of sleep disturbances, and skipped a nap today in the hope I will be able to crash for 4 or 5 hours tonight. We got a lot done today, though. The Doctor and my dad cleaned out and rearranged our chaotic garage, the Doctor won his first league soccer game since moving to SF, and my mom and I took Penny to the vet for a splint change before braving the ghetto Safeway. We stocked up on carby foods for me to enjoy once this placenta has been donated to science and I am no longer gestationally diabetic. Pasta for MEEEEE!!!!

I am nervous and apprehensive about the induction, and the pain and ickyness of labor in general of course. But, as Sylvia Plath says in her pregnancy poem "Metaphors," this train has been boarded and I'm riding it to the last stop.


I'm a riddle in nine syllables,
An elephant, a ponderous house,
A melon strolling on two tendrils.
O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
This loaf's big with its yeasty rising.
Money's new-minted in this fat purse.
I'm a means, a stage, a cow in calf.
I've eaten a bag of green apples,
Boarded the train there's no getting off.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

What a crazy, wonderful moment in your life this must be...I am sending all kinds of easy labor vibes and crossing fingers and toes that everything goes smoothly. I love you very, very much, Ilsa. I have known you for lo these (almost) thirty years, and it has always been a privilege to call you a friend. The little one is extraordinarily lucky to have you and Dave as parents.

SwedeLife said...

Thinking of you guys today! So excited to hear what kinda possum has been cooking in there, what it's name will be, what it looks like...may it be easy and sweet.

lornadoone1972 said...

To my dearest Ilsa and the Doctor... my heart is with you as it has been over these months, I cannot wait to 'meet' the newest addition to a family I have considered part of my extended family for some 20 odd years. Much love from Lorna, Alex and Tadpole.